Monday, February 8, 2016

Can School Be Cool at Fifty?

Why go back to school at fifty? That's the question I get asked the most these days. My friends & family are very supportive and often tell me how proud they are of me, yet they want to know why I decided to do this now, at fifty? It's been on my mind a lot lately too, so I'm just going to write down my thoughts on this subject and maybe I can explain.

Actually, I can appreciate school much more now that I am older. I don't regret waiting so long for several reasons:

1.) I didn't have time for college when I was young! I was very popular and enjoyed my youth. I also worked a lot and made lots of money, so I can't complain. My career was on an upswing and I was able to get promoted into management. I learned many skills and had so many experiences that will benefit me for years to come.

2.) We didn't have internet when I was twenty. Well, we did have computers, but I wasn't made aware of them until 2001 when I was forced to use one at work. I was terrified of this machinery and my reaction was that I would never be able to understand this equipment. Luckily, I had a very kind support group to help me learn. Once I got the ball rolling, I was intrigued and felt there was so much more I wanted to know about them. Homework is also a lot easier now thanks to computers! :)

3.) I have more patience now. I never would of had the discipline or the mindset that is necessary to earn a degree when I was in my twenties. It takes a lot of focus and all the free time I can muster to get assignments and test completed accurately and on time.

4.) The older we get the wiser we become. There has been many times that I don't even read the book. I have been able to rely on past experiences or basic street smarts. We don't realize how much we know until we are forced to. On that note, there has been several days when I was  amazed with how little I know! Jeez! Many times, I feel the more I learn, the less I know. Don't worry, that's what keeps it interesting!

I went back to school at fifty to take some computer classes and all I wanted to take with me was a certificate in website development. I foolishly thought that would be enough to start a new career. Truth is, I took all the required courses and finished with mostly A's and a couple B's and have zero confidence that I can make a website! So, I decided to stick with it and earn a degree.

I am now in my final semester at City Colleges and looking back at the whole experience. "Awesome" pretty much sums it up. This has been the most positive experience all around. I met so many interesting people, made new friends that I treasure, and learned a lot about everything, including myself. That was unexpected, because I thought I already knew myself! I did, only I discovered much more. Like peeling through layers of an onion, I am almost to the core of all that I am.

I never really worried about what the kids might think of me, but I was pleasantly surprised to find my age made no difference. I remember thinking about this after my first day of school. It actually felt like no time had passed at all. The kids were so nice to me I wanted to adopt them all! I was even more surprised to find a lot of my classmates were in my age group. Some were even older than me. It was almost like going back in time, but my attendance is much netter now.

However, what I discovered to be most beneficial is knowing I am still teachable. I now believe that the older we get, the more we should continue learning. It's invigorating! Like new oxygen being brought into the blood stream. Besides taking a Nutrition, Economy and Improv class, I like to keep up with my favorite self-help programs as well. They help keep me focused, and my thoughts positive. Working three jobs while going to school, I need all the help I can get! ;)

My Favorite Self-Help Programs:



This has always been my favorite and still is. I listen to it every summer while laying at the pool and just relaxing. Nice to have reminders of all this knowledge and Dr. Anthony is easy listening. His quick start program works every time, which is a huge plus!



This was the first program I ever ordered and still one of my faves! I love self-hypnosis and Valerie has the most soothing voice, it is a perfect way to relax and refresh. Twenty minutes is all it takes. There are so many different programs included with this offer that I never get tired of listening to them. Best part is they work!




Another form of self-hypnosis that never fails me. If I'm thinking about money, I play this one right before bed and by morning, I have a whole new outlook and my wealth immediately moves upward. It may be a new job that comes out of nowhere, the lottery, football pools, etc. I haven't made any significant windfalls, but new jobs are nice, and I always make the extra money when I need it.

And this is new...



Honestly, I haven't spent much time with this one yet. However, it's free and created by Dr. Robert Anthony, so I would recommend trying it!

Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.

No comments: